Saturday, March 21, 2009

Once a Vandal...

Is there a time in every one's life they idealize? Recently I seem to be having an increased number of dreams about being in Moscow, or returning to Moscow. Moscow, Idaho, that is.
I decided early in my life to go to college and get a four year degree. I was NOT going to BSU (I usually refer to it is BJC, or some school down by the river). I thought about going to BYU. BYU was closed to mee as an option when a friend made a comment about how it was were all the Mormon snobs went to school.
I don't recall the whole conversation. I believe he said something like "...if you really don't like BSU you should go to the U of I. They are rival schools." The next day my sister's boyfriend brought mee in a course catalog for the University of Idaho. I remember the cover was a picture of their fall leaves. I was sold on it.
I couple days later I was meeting with my high school counselor and told him I had decided to study architecture at the University of Idaho. He liked that idea more than I expected. It was then I noticed the plethora of Idaho memorabilia around his office. As it turned out Dr. David Hanson got his degree from Idaho and his son was currently studying Architecture there. I was still in Moscow and able to attend the ceremony where Dr. Hanson receive his PhD. Needless to say, he was supportive of the idea. (This is actually Hello Walk.)
Before the end of my first year of high school my next 8 years of school were mapped out. And nine years after completing my degree, in Sociology (emphasis Human Services; minor, Interpersonal Communication) when asked if I am a Vandal fan I say no...I am a VANDAL.

1 comment:

  1. Weird - Hillary just wrote about being a vandal - http://hillandcamfreeman.blogspot.com/2009/03/true-fan.html - and I've dreamed about Moscow recently - and I was reading my recent issue of the Vandal Alumni Magazine and thinking it would be nice to see a blurb about Doc Bitterwolf, and I turned the page and there he was a full page photo! Maybe we are being summoned to take a trip!

    ReplyDelete