Monday, March 02, 2009

Monday Memory Moment

I don't remember when I realized my view of the world was unique. I was reminded of this Saturday night as I drove back through Star to grab something I left at my parents house. Whereas I needed gas I decided to stop at the Star Merc for gas (surprisingly decent price).

star merc

As a child we lived about an 0.4 of a mile west of the Merc. As kids we would often, and I mean frequently, walk there. I believe we knew the exact amount needed for half  a gallon of ice cream. Sometimes we would be sent to the store with a signed blank check. We could see the Merc through the kitchen window and could check the progress of a family member walking back and forth.

From home to the Merc and back was my first solo drive. It is still the quickest shopping place in Star. Last I knew the Star Cafe was owned by the same family. The Star Cafe is still one of my favorite places to eat.

I realized how "Mayberrry" like my childhood was during one of my college breaks at home. I had gone down to the Merc to pick up a few things. As I had written out a check to make the purchase the woman asked to see my ID. I was taken aback. It have never crossed my mind to bring ID into the Star Merc. Luckily just then Phil walked by and told her I didn't need ID.

So, there may not be any more stores willing to accept my checks with out ID. And Star, to so many may still be a small town. I believe the population has at least tripled in  size since I graduated from high school. I am grateful I grew up in a town and place where I was know by at least me last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment