Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday Memory Moment

I believe we were suppose to be in bed at 8 0'clock each school night. However, this rule have a couple of exceptions.

doris day John-Wayne-Stagecoach-Posters

Doris Day and John Wayne movies...

I believe it is with this exception that I learned to enjoy their films. I have had more than one friend comment on how John el doradoWayne plays similar characters in all of his films...yeah, so...

The movie I remember the clearest from a young age is that of El Dorado.  One of the main characters "Mississippi's" full name was reported to be Alan mississippiBourdillion Traherne. Due to this movie when I want to yell at Toby Alan I want to call him "Toby Alan Bourdillion Traherne".

I am not sure when it began or who started it. As I recall for at least the period of time while I was in college someone bought my dad one or more John Wayne movies each year for Christmas. At one time we were working on someone in the family owning every John Wayne movie. I am currently watching She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. 

 day hudsonA well know combination of names is that of Doris Day and Rock Hudson. During my last month in Moscow, ID I was a Howard Hughes with some friends looking for a movie all of us would be willing to watch. It was at this time I discovered John Wayne had made a movie with Rock Hudson. It was a perfect compromise for the four of us.

undefeated-john-wayne-dvd-cover-art

To this day I will tell people I have John Wayne to take care of me when I am sick. So, although he is not family...his face and voice is just as familiar and comforting. So yeah, John Wayne is one of my heroes...

2 comments:

  1. So Malinda how did you get your cute blog page. I want ours to be something cute but I don't know how to get one besides the templates they have premade on blogspot when you first start the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Wayne is one of the best memories I have with my dad. He is a huge fan and at one point, owned almost every movie. I love watching John Wayne because it gives me a closeness to my dad.

    Also, Doris Day is a great actress as well. I loved musicals growing up, actually, I still do. I always watched musicals when I was home sick.

    ReplyDelete