Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The pressure is on...

I was a little taken about when I noticed a friend of mine had a blog entry sharing the title of my blog. Reading his blog entry I was pleasantly surprised at his interpretation of my blog title. "Live Life Deliberately" was not something I came up with for the purpose of having a blog title. I believe my original blog title was "all about Mee" In the fall of 2001, while working on a Master’s in Public Administration I took a class on the administration and supervision of learning programs. In that class we are assigned to read an article from the Sept-Oct 1996 issue of the Harvard Business Review entitled “Building Your Company’s Vision”. In the article James C. Collins and Jerry I. Porras stated: “…it is more important to know who you are illusionsthan where you are going, for where you are going will change as the world around you changes."

I have read and heard about the importance of having a vision or mission statement for life. I am not sure how much of this processes was recorded in my journals. It was during the time frame I lived in Boise (2005-2007) when I read a couple of books which had been recommended to mee by friends, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach and If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: And Other Reassuring Truths by Sheri L. Dew.life were easy Reading both of these books helped mee realize that I have more control over my life then previously wanting to claim and that I was not, am not living according to the fullness of my professed beliefs.

My friend who charged mee to read Illusions then informed mee that Richard Bach had also written a set of books called the ferret chronicles. I was amazed at the simple and profound truths found within these books. I also read a number of other Richard Bach books at various times from which I gleaned truths. If you decide to take the opportunities to read some of his works I would recommend you keep in mind the words of the Lord to the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr. concerning the Apocrypha; "Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth; And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;" D&C 91:4-5. Mr. Bach does an amazing job shading new light on eternal truths. He also goes a little further than I believe, with a sometimes interesting twist.

Some how in this process of reading books and living life I gained an understanding of taking more accountability for and IMG_0131participating in my own life. I have also learned, as evidenced by a new job and other accompanying blessings needed in taking a new road, how willing the Lord is to bless us materially as well as spiritually. What do we really need beyond peace of mind and a safe (physical / spiritual) place to lay our heads?

I didn't write down which quotes was from which book, but here of some of them:

"We don't become beautiful as we grow. We realize that we've been beautiful all along."

"Our highest sense of right it to express the most possible love in this world, and to help others do so..."

"If I say yes...will I enrich lives or disappoint them? If I say no, will I be dashing hopes or shifting them toward a better path? How is it that I can meet there needs and mine too?"

"So easy it is to mistake task for purpose."

"... if we are afraid to choose anything but what we have got, what good is choice?"

a couple from Illusions:

"If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do have a problem."

"The original sin is to limit the IS. Don't"

No comments:

Post a Comment