Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Memory Moment

20090727 005It was the summer of 1999. I had moved into into my first apartment. (yeah, that was ten years ago) I needed a desk. I had a jigsaw book shelf. I want to say my sister had just made a jigsaw table (or two). With those in mind I designed a desk that would use one 8'x4' piece of plywood.

My father suggested I should use a thicker piece of particle board. Knowing mee I would want to sit or stand on it. I need something that would support my weight.

With supplies in tow to Granddad's house we go...he had all the good tools in his garage. These tools included a straight edge for cutting 4'x8' boards. How sweet is that?

In one afternoon my particle board turned into a desk. A very heavy, sturdy desk at that.20090727 004

I still had some pink and purple paint left over from painting my shelves. I did want my room to be color coordinated. So... here you have it....

While I was in Moscow the desk maintained this look. Since that time the pink and purple polka dots have been covered with different patterns contact paper.

As for being sturdy. It has not only been used to stand on sit on, but also supported one end of my bed for 9 months. It is about the height of two cinder blocks. This provided for a high bed and good storage in small places. I mainly used the shelves for food storage items. My roommate Tracy found this humorous and would show people on their tours of the house. I don't she was laughing when I was able to produce what she needed from them...

2009: With roommates moving in I decided to move the desk from the "office" into the front room. I was also done with the contact paper.20090727 011  It was time for a paint job.

As I was preparing the desk for painting I thought of making it those ten years ago. The opportunity I had to work along side my dad, and his dad. I have a better desk than I had planned because of there experience earned wisdom. I also realized that was the last real time I got to spend with my Granddad. Thanks Dad and Granddad...

No comments:

Post a Comment