Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Memory Moment

I don't recall when it started. I cannot say he was perfect and read everyday. For the effort, and the blessings, it was worth it. Each morning before school my dad read to us from the scriptures. I remember him Reading from The Book of Mormon. I don't know how many times he read it to us.

After one time of finishing The Book of Mormon he decided he wanted a change. He decided to read us The Bible Story.

camera 029

We had a ten Volume Set. The Bible stories were beautifully told and illustrated. As you might imagine we were not very awake, if at all, as Dad read to us at 6:00 every morning.

There is one morning I remember well. I believe I was in high school. Although I am sure the whole family was around, I remember Dad and my older sister. The story he read:

camera 028

"Stories of Queen Esther."

That morning, while sitting around a kitchen table, I learned to love Queen Esther. Her beauty, her faith, her courage tell us that with God nothing is impossible. And maybe, like Esther, I came "to the kingdom for such a time as this."

camera 018

I am grateful Dad took the opportunity to read The Bible Stories to us. As a missionary I had the opportunity to teach Bible stories to companions who were as new to Christianity. I believe I wouldn't have loved the Bible Stories if it wasn't for this time.

Thanks, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment