Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday Memory Moment

Today as I walked across the courtyard I watched a young man catch a football. I am not sure what impressed mee more, the catch or the length of the pass. Some how this sight took mee back to a basketball game I saw in the spring of 2007.
At this time I was in my third year of teaching at Meridian High School. While at MHS I worked mainly with students who were classified as having a Cognitive Impairment. To give you a better picture: a good number of them will need to have someone else be their guardian beyond the typical legal age, academically they performed between 2-5th grade levels, adaptive behavior skills around 6-10 years. While many teenagers may be trusted to attend a high school sporting event without supervision the youth I worked with need someone to keep an eye on them.
Earlier in the school year I informed parents I planned to attend the home football and basketball games and offered to be that watchful eye so their children might attend the games. By the end of the basketball season I was down to about three regulars, two boys and a girl.
The particular game I thought of today was late in a fairly sad basketball season. I don't recall who we were playing. I want to say they were wearing brown. My students would typically call their rides at the beginning of the fourth quarter. It was a close game. I was a little surprised when it went into over time. The second overtime was thrilling.
This is the part I will always remember. The other team had scored. With a second on the clock a young man made a last ditch effort and hurled the basketball from past half court. He tried, we can give him credit for that. With little to no expectations we watched the ball sail through the air towards the other end of the gym.
AHH! WOOHOO!!!! It went in. The basketball actually went in the basket. Three points and Meridian High School won the game!!! It was the type of shot movies are made of. Usually when the team is in at least a district level championship game. But, hey, the kid will always remember that moment. I am fairly certain his parents will as well.
The part I remember most, the students I was with. And, knowing they got to have such experience as apart of their high school years. It is moments like these that inclusion is all about.
GO WARRIORS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment