Saturday, September 06, 2008

Puppy Training, Day One

I currently have a puppy whimpering in the corner of the room. One of the articles I read about crate/kennel training encouraged requiring the puppy to spend a little bit of time in the Kennel prior to being left for the day. This is to decrease the correlation between crate time and mee leaving for long periods of time.  I am not sure how long it will take before I would ever consider not locking him in there while using the bathroom.

I was raised with the notion that animals belong in a barn. That is a part of the reason it took mee so long to actually get a dog. I had thought about it for a while. The encouragement to get one for the sake of companionship seemed futile if the dog was always outside.

He is a beautiful dog. TJ likes the name Demon and called him that today. The Nurses like the name Ruddy, and did like wise...Puppy is asleep... He doesn't look like any of the mutts John Wayne called "Dog".

Matt was telling mee this last week how much he has learned from learning about training dogs. I was intrigued by how similar dog training info is to behavior modification. As I was teaching my dog to not go down the hall way he quickly learned he didn't want what would happened to him if he did. I didn't like the way that he kept backing away from mee. A scripture quickly came to mind:

D&C 121:43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;

With that, I sat down on the floor, where he his welcome to be, and showed him lots of love. As I did so, I wondered how I could ensure I did something similar with the boys I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment