Sunday, June 29, 2008

Relay for Life

A couple of months ago I was invited to participate in the Relay of Life with the "Dangerous Curves" group here in Mt. Home. A couple of adorable women, Lisa and Janeen, own the Curves location where I workout. They have invited mee to do a couple of things with them, and I have looked forward to getting to know them better and participating in a community event. During the meeting we had on Tuesday I found out my allotted time to walk would be from 1am-2am, and that I could bring someone else with mee. I decided to invite Rebecca, my oldest niece, to join mee. She was brought to Mt. Home by Roger, Melva, and Lori who also invited us to join them at a movie on base. We got to the theater just in time to watch Narnia, Prince Caspian. The movie started with the singing of The Star Spangled Banner. I am use to sporting events beginning in such a manner. I liked having a movie start with a reminder of our freedoms and sacrifices are made to maintain them. It was a good movie. Becca was glad to have seen it. It was also nice to do something with the family I do have in town. It was over by 9:30pm giving us plenty of time to get back to Mt. Home and gather the things needed to stay at the park for the night. "What is Relay For Life? Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature activity. It offers everyone in a community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Relays are an overnight event, up to 24 hours in length. " Retrieved from http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/whatisrelay June 29, 2008. The “Dangerous Curves” group was actually the first group we came upon. After laying out our tarp and things we decided to walk around to see what everyone had out. Many of the groups were selling food items, or other things at surprisingly reasonable prices. Becca even got her face painted. We were fairly awake while our time on the track began. Becca did some running. We had a good talk. We talked about different things that cause cancer and different people I know/knew that have or had cancer. Becca said she thought walking to fight cancer was a great idea because she thinks exercising would help fight cancer. The Elmore County Relay for life was about 12 hours long. Closing Ceremony and final lap were at 7:30am.

1 comment:

  1. They play the National Anthem before every movie played at movie theaters on US Armed Forces Bases. I found that out when Chris and I went to see a movie on the Post in Germany!!!

    ReplyDelete