Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Think about it...

I have heard it said, "you are what you eat". I suggest we change it to, "You are what you think."
An EFT program I recently watched stated..."Your consistent thoughts become your reality." This presentation reminded mee of something my mission president often said:
WE DO WHAT
WE FOCUS ON!
As I was sharing these thoughts with a co-worker I remembered something I have attempted teach and practice while working with adolescents. Tell them what you want them to do. For example:
Johnny is talking, walking, and dribbling a basketball. You want him to hold the ball still. If you tell him to "stop". He may not know what you want him to stop doing. If you say, "stop dribbling the ball". The last thing he heard was "Dribbling ball". He may have not processed the "stop". Or, it may take him a longer than you want for him to come up with what else to do with the ball.
If you say, "Hold the ball still". He knows what to do, and the last thing he heard was, "ball still".
What about dieting? What do you think when you think diet? Limit food intake. Don't get to eat sweets. Don't eat, eat, eat. Not what you want to be focused on.
My co-worker introduced mee to this song...She has the little lion guy on her desk which sings the song for her. It keeps her moving...

No comments:

Post a Comment