Monday, October 05, 2009

Monday Mustard Moment

I have a very gracious father. I don't know how conversations about increasing a persons allowance might typically go. We may not have had very many of them. "Double it," is the response I remember. 2 x 0 = 0. Dad might have even offered to triple it. We learned to manage money in a different manner.
We lived in Star. Dad worked worked in Eagle (East). Mom worked in Parma (West). We went to school in Meridian (South). By the time I was in high school my older sister was driving. In the course of the week we were the closets ones to a supermarket. Therefore it was decided we would get to do the shopping.
We were given $120-$150 a week. With this money we were to buy the groceries for the week. We also had to have money to fill our car up with gas and buy more milk later in the week. What ever monies were left over was ours.
We got to decided if we bought school lunches or take a lunch with us. It didn't take long to determine it was cheaper to take lunches. I recall making a lot of sandwiches. If I was making them Dad usually wanted one. I recall usually making three or four at a time.
There is something these unsuspecting sandwich receivers may not be aware of. Mustard Art. There was usually a picture of some sort inside. It was usually a smile. So...my family has eaten more happiness than they were ever aware off.

No comments:

Post a Comment