Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Light Switch

I remember a seminary teacher talking to us about faith. In an effort to illustrate the need of faith in Christ to gain our salvation he talked about a light switch. We have faith that by flipping a light switch we will get light. This faith is so powerful it moves us to action. We walk to the light switch and then flip the switch. We do this so often our faith turns to knowledge. However, these actions will not produce our salvation.

Let’s make it a metaphor. I propose the light be peace and happiness in this life. We also have a light switch. We can say we believe that by flipping the switch we will have light. As the night gets darker and darker I can sit on the couch and believe that if I get up, walk over to the light switch, and  flip the switch there will be light. Then the darkness will be gone.

According to the laws of nature there has to be something in between the light and the light switch for it to work. I am not going to try to explain what all is required to make this happen. I don’t have enough knowledge about how it works. I do know it works, I rely on it. Now lets take it a little further.

Recently, my father and brother spent a Saturday afternoon putting an additional light switch in my living room. For this to happen if required knowledge I don't currently have. It required obtaining items I don't know anything about. In involved using a lot of  tools. Some of the tools I had, some of them I did not. It also took a lot of hard work. It is something I could not have done for myself.

Now the project is done. My dad asked mee the next day if I had used to the light and wanted to make sure it worked. I hadn't really even thought about it. I then thought about how he might feel if I never thought about the gift he had given mee. What if I never used it.

Going back to the metaphor.

As according to the laws of nature there has to be something in between the our actions which lead to peace and happiness. I am not going to try to explain what all is required to make this happen. I don’t have enough knowledge about how it works. I do know it works, I rely on it.

Recently, my Father and Brother created a plan which allows for mee to have peace and happiness in this life. As a light requires a light switch peace and happiness require specific actions. Exactly what happens to allow our actions to provide peace and happiness is knowledge I don't currently have. I do, however, know it is called the Atonement. It required obtaining items I don't know anything about. In involved using a lot of  tools. Some of the tools I have, some of them I don't. It also took a lot of hard work. It is something I could not have done for myself.

Now the project is done. My Father sees mee everyday. He knows when I use it, and when I should but don't use it. Do I think about it as I should? I then thought about how He feels when I don't think about the gift he has given mee. Am I doing those things that will lead to peace and happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment