Monday, May 23, 2011

Washington D.C. : Charters of Freedom

Yes, it has been a while. I was informed I need to share more of my D.C. pictures.

The Education Department went the Council of Exceptional Children Convention and Expo which was held in National Harbor, MD. I struggled deciding which I was more excited about: convention vs. Washington D.C.
We had almost a full week in the DMV (District of Maryland, Virginia).
We had three days of Convention and three days of site seeing. I had one MUST see:
The Charters of Freedom. Housed in the National Archives, 235 year old parchment, elegant penmanship, and inspired words protected as the priceless gift they are: The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights. Amazing, amazing, amazing...this should be the Mecca of all freedom loving people.

While I will treasure knowing that I have seen the actual documents. I am most grateful for a keener understanding of the sacrifice and foresight of these, our founding fathers. As I wondered the monuments and museums I kept reflecting on the words given to the Prophet Joseph Smith concerning this great land and are freedoms.

Doctrine and Covenants 101:77–80‎

77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I [God]  have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;
78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.
79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.
80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land [The United States of America], by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment