Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christ: The Real Gift of Christmas

Today, while pondering in church I thought about what I might say if someone asked mee what I wanted for Christmas. I tried to think of how I might tell someone there was no gift they could give that would compare with the gift we were given in Christ. Nor, the further gift to have the fullness of the gospel on the earth today with prophets and apostles. What better gift is out there? I was also trying to figure out how I might share these thoughts in a blog post.
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a holiday season of food, family, and gifts. It seems rather fitting, in the United States of America, to welcome in the winter months with a Thanksgiving Celebration for all we have been given to maintain throughout the winter. Then to continue for a month or so of various gatherings that will keep your spirits high when the weather might seem otherwise.
My concern is that the traditions may be happening without the meaning. I remember a student commenting once she didn't know why there was a star on the top of a Christmas Tree. I had someone else mention we could decorate for Christmas as long as it wasn't religious. huh? I continue on my path of how I want to Celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
After church today I went to lds.org to find something to watch or listen to. There I noticed they had a new topic page for Christmas with the title of; Christ: The Real Gift of Christmas. Here The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has already posted videos and ideas all in one place. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment